Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Effort Based...expectations

Do you tell your students what you expect in a clear, concise and easy to follow way?

During the first six weeks, we work on creating class rules, individual goals and understanding routines and procedures.  With this in mind, I also create my own expectations that I post in the room. They are simple, but effective.


How do we do this?  Well...we take each strand and talk about what it looks like, sounds like and feels like.  Most importantly....we practice it.

How?  Morning Meetings are a great place to model what it looks like to be a good listener during share time.  I model what it looks like to be polite to my students and correct them right away when I hear them talking rudely to each other.  Work hard - well, that is where I showcase EFFORT right away.  When I see a student working hard or trying their best, I may have them....kiss their brain!
I copied this idea from www.langstonslearners.blogspot.com . I, too, have a jar of Hershey's kisses that the students can get a treat from when they work hard. 
However, word on the street is our new principal may not like us giving out candy...so I may have to switch to Smart Beads.

Smart beads
I found this on Pinterest.  I'm not sure who originally posted it, but I love it!




No comments:

Post a Comment