Sunday, August 19, 2012

Job Charts


There were many years when I spent hours and hours planning a cute display to show jobs for my students.  I would buy or create something "cute" that took up a ton of space. 

That was then, this is now.  NOW...I need more SPACE for ANCHOR charts.  So, a couple of years ago I decided to simplify. 

Let me back it up a bit...first of all, I believe that ALL students should have a job.  Everyone needs to have a sense of purpose in the classroom and giving them jobs gives them specific responsibilities.  I also try to make sure that the jobs are truly jobs that need to be done in the classroom - not made up time fillers.  For example, at our school it is a RULE that someone needs to check the teacher mailboxes at 3:15...so that is an assigned job.  Similarly, we all need people to wipe the tables at lunch and help with recycling.  Someone should walk the lunch count to the cafeteria in the morning and another person can walk the attendance to the office.  We need people to sweep the floor and people to hold the dust pan.  We also have a job to write the date, to change the schedule, to write the question of the day, and to calibrate the smart board.

See???? That's a lot of jobs!



I
Another idea I heard from someone (I don't even know who now!!) is to have a substitute position.  So if someone is absent, you already have a backup plan to take over for them that day.  If I run out of jobs (which is unusual) I have a job that says "Vacation"...which means that they have the week off.  
How do I manage this?
Simple...I put the jobs on labels and then create cards (in another color) with labels that have the students names or numbers.  Every Monday I rotate jobs - simply move the cards down a slot.  It's easy! You can even assign the job to a student you trust!

What do I use? I use a pocket chart and duct tape it to the wall...simple, yet efficient!

If you are looking for a list of possible classroom jobs, you can click on my list here for FREE. I'd love to hear how you keep track of class jobs, too!




3 comments:

  1. It says the document doesn't exist! Great ideas though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great classroom jobs ideas. I love your idea of a substitute, I think that would help any classroom job system work smoother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ! this can be an exquisite and informative web site.It is a awfully helpful for U.S.. So, i prefer it greatly. several several thanks for build this web site. If you wish additional data regarding stock charts to go to stock charts shopping for the suitable Monitor Time frames is a vital half from inexperienced persons stock choices shopping for and merchandising along side location encourage job chartIn accordance with simply however long the positions characteristically stick with it, you may wish to shop for a time schedule that is compatible.

    ReplyDelete